Over the past few years, many people have called me the “decluttering queen.”
While I may make decluttering look easy, it wasn’t always this way.
For most of my childhood, I held onto things.
I didn’t throw things away and didn’t quite understand why there was a need to donate my items.
Whether or not I used things was irrelevant. They were mine and I didn’t want to let go.
In my late teens, Omaya came into my life. Today, she remains a dear friend who has taught me so much about decluttering and letting go of “stuff”.
When I looked around Omaya’s condo, I always felt a sense of peace. There was no clutter and she was the first TRUE minimalist I had ever met.
It didn’t take long for me to pick her brain and embrace a similar way of life.
I’m always looking for ways to better myself and I could immediately see the benefits of living a simpler, clutter-free life.
Today I want to inspire you, like Omaya inspired me.
The Top 10 Benefits of Decluttering Your Space
1. It calms your nervous system
- Being in a clean, clutter-free space is relaxing. It’s calming and peaceful.
- Many people have told me that they feel like they are at a spa when they come visit. Think about how amazing you would feel if you were at the spa every day? Imagine if you created this feeling in your home.
2. It enhances productivity
- When your space is decluttered, you’re more productive and efficient.
- You get things done! And, you never waste time looking for things.
3. It’s easier to clean
- A clean space is a healthier space.
- Dust is one of the most common allergens and the more clutter you have, the more easily dust builds up.
- Decluttering your counters and surfaces makes it easier to wipe down daily (minimizing dust and common allergens at home).
4. It feels REALLY good to donate your things
- If you haven’t used something in 6 months, ask yourself if you’re ever going to use it? Even if you answer yes, still consider donating it. Here’s why.
- When you drop off bags of cared for items, you’ll feel joy. Giving back is important. The happiest people aren’t the ones who have the most, the happiest people are the ones who give the most.
5. It makes it easier to let go of negative memories
- Need help letting go of stored memories (that you don’t want to remember)? Physical items remind us of things.
- While it’s good to remember positive memories, it’s better to forget negative ones. For example, if you see a mug from your not-so-nice ex, it can easily trigger a negative memory.
- Decluttering is one of the easiest ways to let go and move forward. Decluttering literally helps you get rid of items that trigger a negative memory. No matter how much you like something, if it triggers a wave of negative emotions, it’s time to part with it.
6. It helps you save money
- When you have a lot of clutter, most of the time, you don’t even know what you have. Things get lost or pushed to the back of a storage space. In many cases, you end up spending money because you can’t find what you need when you need it.
- Remember, the less you have, the more you have!
- You’ll know exactly where everything is and won’t waste money going out to replace items that you already have.
7. It can improve your relationship
- One of the biggest stressors in relationships is not enough time spent together.
- Couples are busy at work, busy with kids, busy with chores etc…
- The less clutter (and stuff you have), the faster you’ll clean which will give you more time to spend with loved ones.
8. It can reduce morning stress
- Many people dread the feeling of waking up to a messy house or trying to find the right outfit for an event. The less choice you have, the easier it is to make decisions.
- Think about kids in private school who wear a uniform to school every day. It’s one less thing to think about.
- Also, some of the most successful billionaires in the world rotate the same 5 outfits throughout the week. Do you really need 3 closets full of clothes, shoes, belts and scarves?
9. It can stimulate your creative juices
- It’s hard to feel inspired and motivated in a cluttered space. Creativity doesn’t come easy when there’s stuff everywhere.
- Every artist starts their masterpiece with a blank white slate. To create the life you deserve and love, you need to feel inspired. It’s much easier to align with this feeling in a clean space free of clutter.
10. It will improve your overall health
- When I talk about detox, I’m not just talking about herbal cleansing. To truly experience the benefits of detox, you need to apply the principles to different areas of your life.
- Detox your body with natural herbs and refreshing green juice, detox your relationships by only allowing positive people into your circle, detox your personal care products by choosing 100% natural, and detox your space by removing the clutter.
If you’re still not convinced, that’s okay. The same way you train your muscles, you need to re-train your brain to let go and embrace a simpler way of life.
Omaya inspired me two decades ago and she truly changed my life.
And now maybe I’ve inspired you.